|What to do
- Set out your equipment and ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
Cook the potato
- Peel and chop the potato into small dice.
- Put the potato in the medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil over high heat then cook over medium heat until a knife inserts easily into the potato (about 10 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes.
- Roughly mash the potatoes.
Prepare the chilli
- Put on the plastic gloves.
- Slice the chilli in half length-ways and scrape the seeds out of the chilli.
- Finely chop the chilli.
Prepare the cumin seeds
- Dry-fry the cumin seeds in a frying pan over medium heat 1 minute or until toasted, stirring constantly.
- Grind the seeds with the mortar and pestle.
Prepare the beans, onions and coriander
- Drain the black beans.
- Chop the coriander.
- Peel the outer leaves from the spring onions and thinly slice.
Mix all the vegetables
- Combine cumin, chilli, potatoes, spring onions, coriander, black beans, chilli powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Mash the ingredients roughly with a fork.
Assemble the empanadas
- Moisten edges of dough with egg white; fold dough over filling. Press edges together to seal. Place empanadas on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut 3 diagonal slits across top of each empanada. Bake at 400° for 16 minutes or until lightly browned.