|What to do
- Set out your equipment and ingredients.
Mix the dough
- Spoon the flour, baking powder and salt into the large bowl, and make a well in the centre.
- Pour the cold milk, boiling water and oil into the medium bowl, stir them together, then tip this into the flour and quickly mix to a smooth dough.
- Cover the bowl and leave for 10 minutes, then knead lightly and return the dough to the bowl, cover and leave for an hour or two at room temperature. During this time the dough will soften and become pliable enough to roll thinly.
Divide and roll the dough
- Using the dough scraper, divide the dough into 12 pieces about 75 g each. Using the rolling pin, roll each into a disc about 10 – 15 cm in diameter and place to one side, fanned out on a plate with a dusting of flour underneath and between them to stop them sticking together.
Cook the tortillas
- Get a wide, heavy frying pan hot over high heat then one at a time, in the same order that you rolled them out before, roll each tortilla even thinner with more flour, to about 20 cm in diameter. As each one is finished, slip it onto your hand then slide it into the hot dry pan.
- When it puffs up in random pockets across its surface, use a wide egg flip to flip it over. Cook the other side lightly then transfer it to a dinner plate and cover with a clean dry tea towel.
- Repeat with the remaining discs of dough, one at a time, and stack the cooked ones on top of each other on the plate.