Serves: 4 at home or 24 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: carrots, spring onions, coriander, limes, eggs
Source: Stephanie Alexander
- metric measuring spoons and cups
- chopping boards & non-slip mats
- 1 knife/scissors
- medium non-stick frying pan
- large metal spoon
- egg flip
- serving plates
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 125 g carrots
- 1 lime
- 6 spring onions
- 6 stems coriander
- canola oil for pan frying
What to do
- Peel and grate the carrots and set aside.
- Finely slice the spring onions and set aside.
- Zest half the lime and set aside.
- Remove the coriander leaves from stems. Chop the leaves with the mezzaluna and set aside.
- Sift the salt, bicarbonate of soda, spices and flour into a bowl.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and milk.
- Add the milk and eggs to the flour and mix together with a spatula.
- Add the carrots, spring onions, lime zest and coriander to the egg-flour mixture and stir to combine.
Cook the fritters
- Heat the frying pan over medium heat and add a little oil. Fry spoonfuls of fritter mixture until golden-brown on each side, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Serve at once.