|We should call these fritters of the imagination since kids get to add whatever vegetable is readily available in the garden. We have used spring onions, leeks, broccoli, silver beet and kale. They are delicious served with Green Goddess Dressing.Season: All year
Serves: 24 small fritters
Fresh from the garden: vegetables of your choice, basil, parsley, eggs
Recipe source: Adapted from Stephanie Alexander’s Kitchen Garden Companion
- metric measuring spoons and cups
- chopping boards & non-slip mats
- 1 medium knife
- medium non-stick frying pan
- bowls – 1 small, 2 medium
- large metal spoon
- egg flip
- baking tray
- serving plates
- large teaspoon
- about 200g vegetables (to yield 2 cups chopped)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs, yolks separated from whites
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 100 g feta
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil from pan frying
|What to do
- Set out your equipment and ingredients.
Prepare the vegetables
- Chop vegetables.
- Heat the oil in the medium frying pan and sauté (cook gently in oil) the vegetables until soft. Remove from the frying pan and put in the medium bowl.
Prepare the herbs
- Harvest the herbs from the garden
- Chop the herbs with the mezzaluna and set aside.
Separate the eggs
- You need to separate the yolk from the white. To do this crack open the egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk (if you do discard the egg and start again). Hold your hand over another small bowl and gently drop the egg into your hand letting the white pass through while the yolk remains in your hand. Repeat with the other egg.
Prepare the cheese-egg mixture
- Crumble the feta into a small bowl.
- Lightly whisk the egg yolks and add the herbs, cheese, flour and vegetabes.
Whisk the egg whites
- With a clean whisk, whisk the whites to form soft peaks and fold into the vegetable mixture with a large metal spoon.
Cook the fritters
- Heat the frying pan over medium heat and add a little oil. Fry teaspoonfuls of the vegetable mixture gently for about 2 minutes on each side. Don’t overcook as the fritters are most delicious if still moist in the middle.
- Serve at once.