Serves: 6 at home or 24 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: garlic, chives, horseradish, zucchini, eggs
Recipe source: Adapted from a recipe from Sunshine North Primary, Victoria
- metric measuring spoons and cups
- chopping boards & non-slip mats
- 1 medium knife
- small strainer
- two small bowls
- tea towel
- small bowl, large bowl
- spatula or mixing spoon
- frying pan
- slotted spoon
- kitchen paper
For the horseradish sour cream:
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- small bunch fresh chives
- 1½ tbsp fresh horseradish
- 1 cup sour cream
For the rosti:
- 750 g zucchini
- 2 eggs
- cup plain flour
- olive oil to shallow fry
|What to do
- Set out your ingredients.
Make the horseradish sour cream
- Carefully press each garlic clove under the flat side of the knife to loosen the skins. Slip off the skins.
- Wash and dry the chives, then chop them finely.
- Peel and finely grate the horseradish.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, garlic, 1½ tablespoons horseradish and 1 tablespoon of the chopped chives. Mix with a fork and set aside.
Prepare the rosti
- Grate the zucchini using the coarse side of the grater. Place the grated zucchini in the centre of a clean tea towel and squeeze the towel to remove the excess moisture.
- Whisk the two eggs in a small bowl, using a fork.
- In a large bowl, mix the grated zucchini, beaten eggs, flour and the rest of the chopped chives. Stir with a spatula or spoon to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and heat enough oil for shallow frying.
- Measure out a teaspoon of the mixture and shape it into a ball. When the oil is hot, use a slotted spoon and carefully transfer the balls of zucchini mixture to the frying pan.
- Flatten each ball with a spatula. Cook for 3 minutes, then flip to the other side and fry until golden brown and cooked through.
- As the rosti finish cooking, remove each one to a plate lined with kitchen paper and cover to keep warm (or keep on a baking tray in very low-heat oven – around 120°C).
- Serve with horseradish sour cream.