|For these ravioli we used purple-fleshed potatoes which had a beautiful flavour that combined really well with the sweet sorrel.
Serves: 6 at home or 30 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: potato, sorrel, garlic, eggs
Recipe source: Majura Kitchen Garden
- metric measuring spoons and cups
- chopping boards & non-slip mats
- 1 medium knife
- large saucepan
- potato ricer pastry brush
- bowls – 1 medium, 1 large
- baking tray
- serving plates
- 500 g potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch of sorrel
- 25 g Parmesan
- extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
1 quantity Basic pasta dough
|What to do
- Set out your ingredients.
Make the filling
- Wash the potatoes then bring to the boil in a medium-large saucepan and cook until soft.
- Drain in a colander and when cool enough to handle peel off the skin.
- Mash the potatoes with the potato ricer.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Wash the sorrel and dry in the salad spinner. Roughly chop the sorrel.
- Gently sauté the garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 15 seconds.
- Add half the sorrel, stir briefly, then put the lid on remove from the heat (this allows the sorrel to cook in the steam). Cool, then drain in the colander to remove the excess liquid.
- Grate the parmesan.
- In a large bowl combine the potato and garlic – sorrel mixture, raw sorrel and parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Make the ravioli
- Cut the pasta sheets into strips about 6 cm wide. Brush the strips lightly with the eggwhite (you probably won’t need all the eggwhite).
- Place a teaspoonful of the filling at end of each strip. Fold the pasta strip over to enclose the filling. Press firmly around the filling to seal the ravioli.
- Place the ravioli on the semolina-dusted trays and continue until all are made.
- Drop a batch of the ravioli into the boiling water (not too many at once) and cook for 6 minutes. Lift the ravioli from the water with the slotted spoon and allow to drain for a moment. Slip the ravioli into the buttered ovenproof dish, then return the dish to the oven. Continue with the next batch until all the ravioli have been cooked.
- Gently toss the ravioli with the sauce and serve immediately.