Serves: 4 at home or 24 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: garlic, chillies, basil, cherry tomatoes
- metric measuring spoons and cups
- chopping boards & non-slip mats
- 1 medium knife
- small saucepan
- baking tray
- small non-stick frying pan
- bowls – 1 medium, 1 large
- sushi mat
- serving plates
- small serving bowls
- 20 g Parmesan cheese
- 50 g pepitas
- 1 glove garlic
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 large bunch basil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g fresh pasta
|What to do
Set out your equipment and ingredients.
- Finely grate the parmesan with the zester and set aside.
- Peel the garlic and put in the bowl of the mortar with the sea salt and pound to a paste.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Cut the chilli lengthways and slide a knife along the inside to remove the seeds. Roughly chop the chilli and put in the mortar.
- Meanwhile, remove the basil leaves from the stalks and add the leaves to the mortar along with the pepitas and pound and grind to a paste.
- Add the tomatoes and continues to pound and grind to a paste.
- Gradually add the olive oil and mix to combine.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cooked pasta. Toss together and serve, garnished with some extra basil and cherry tomatoes on top.