|What to do
- Set out your equipment and ingredients.
- Thinly slice cucumbers.
- Peel and thinly slice onions.
- Combine cucumber and onion in medium bowl, sprinkle with salt, mix well, cover and stand overnight.
- Rinse and drain cucumber mixture. Drain on kitchen paper. Spoon into hot, sterilised jars.
- Meanwhile, stir the remaining ingredients in the medium saucepan over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil then remove from heat. Pour enough vinegar mixture into jars to cover the cucumber mixture. Seal immediately.
- Label the jars.
- Pour into small, hot, sterilised jars.
How to sterilise jars
- Wash and dry the jars and lids.
- Put the jars in a cold oven then heat the oven to 150oC.
- Once the oven has reached this temperature the jars are sterile and can be remove from the oven and filled with the preserves.