Fresh from the garden: tomatoes, onions
Recipe source:Adapted from a recipe by Sally Wise
- chopping board & non-slip mat
- metric measuring scales, cups and spoons
- large bowl
- large, heavy-based saucepan
- 4 × 250 ml jars, with lids
- 750 ml apple cider vinegar
- 3 kg green tomatoes
- 1 kg onions
- small handful of salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1kg sugar
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons mustard powder
|What to do
- Set out your equipment and ingredients.
- Chop the tomatoes roughly into small chunks. Put in the bowl.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt, mix well in the bowl, then leave to stand overnight.
- The next day tip the mixture into a colander to drain then tip into the large saucepan. Add the three quarters of the vinegar and bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the sugar and bring back to the boil, then simmer gently with the lid half on for one hour, stirring often.
- Mix the remaining vinegar with the dry ingredients. Add to the pot and stir until combined. Boil for 5 minutes then spoon into warm sterilised jars while still hot. Screw the lids on tightly, then label.
How to sterilise jars
- Wash and dry the jars and lids.
- Put the jars in a cold oven then heat the oven to 150oC.
- Once the oven has reached this temperature the jars are sterile and can be remove from the oven and filled with the preserves.