Makes: 6 x 250ml jars
Fresh from the garden: lemons, bay leaves
Recipe source: Majura Kitchen Garden
- metric measuring spoons
- chopping boards & non-slip mats
- 1 medium knife
- bowls – 1 medium, 1 large
- 6 x 250ml sterilised jars
- 20 lemons
- 500 g coarse kitchen salt
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- Lemon juice
|What to do
- Set out your equipment and ingredients.
- Cut the lemons into quarters or eighths.
- Break the cinnamon sticks into smaller pieces.
- Divide the ingredients into six piles, with each pile having a sixth of each ingredient.
- Squash the ingredients from one pile into a jar, starting with a single layer of lemon pieces, then salt, some herbs and spices. Repeat the layering until the jar is three-quarters full.
- Add a couple of tablespoon of salt to the jar and top-up the jar with lemon juice. Seal with an airtight lid.
- Repeat with the other jars.
- Leave the jars for 6 weeks before using.