Serves: 6 at home or 30 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: potatoes, spring onions, celery, parsley, dill, eggs
Recipe source: Adapted from Bill Granger’s Bill’s Basics
|What to do
- Set out your equipment and ingredients.
Cook the potatoes
- Scrub the potatoes then put them in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook until a skewer can be inserted easily the potatoes. Place a colander in the sink then drain the potatoes in the colander and leave until cool a little.
Make the mayonnaise
- Put the egg yolks, vinegar and mustard in a bowl mix with a whisk until well combined.
- Slowly add the oil until the mayonnaise is thick and creamy. Add 1 -2 tablespoons of hot water if it’s too thick.
- (Makes 125 ml)
Chop and mix the vegetables
- When cool enough to handle slice the potatoes thickly.
- Chop the spring onions and celery and set aside. Roughly chop the parsley and finely chop the dill then set aside.
- Rinse the capers to remove the salt.
- Gently mix the potatoes with the spring onions, celery, capers, parsley and dill. Fold in 100 g mayonnaise and season with sea salt, black pepper and lemon juice to taste.