Serves: 24 in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: grapefruit, lemon, onion, assorted salad leaves
Recipe source: Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Plenty More.
- 2 large bowls
- salad spinner
- chopping board
- lemon juicer
- metric measuring spoons & cups
- salad bowl
- salad servers
- 4 ruby grapefruit
- ½ small, dried chilli
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2½ tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sumac
- ¼ red onion
- 3 cups leafy greens
- sea salt
What to do
- Select your salad leaves from the garden.
- Wash and dry the salad leaves.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Peel and segment 3 grapefruit.
- Juice 1 grapefruit
- Put 150 ml juice, sugar and chilli in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens and you have about 2½ tablespoons left. Set aside to cool down then whisk in the olive oil, sumac and ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- To assemble the salad, put the grapefruit segments, onion, and leafy greens in a bowl. Pour over the dressing, toss and serve.