- metric measuring spoons and cups
- chopping boards & non-slip mats
- plastic wrap
- 1 medium knife
- medium saucepan
- bowls – 2 medium
- baking tray
- serving bowls
Serves: 6 at home or 30 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: tomatoes, oregano, tarragon, mint, garlic
Recipe source: Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Plenty
- 125 g couscous
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 150 ml boiling water
- 150 g giant (Israel) couscous
- 300 g medium tomatoes
- ¾ tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 150 g yellow cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped oregano leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped tarragon leaves
- 3 tbspn chopped mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small green tomato
- 100 g cherry tomatoes
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
|What to do
- Set out your ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 170oC.
Prepare the couscous
- Put the couscous in a bowl with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of oil. Pour over the boiling water, stir and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Set aside for 12 minutes, then remove the plastic wrap, separate the grains with a fork and leave to cool.
Prepare the giant couscous
- Place the giant couscous in a large saucepan of boiling water and simmer for 15 minutes, or until al dente.
- Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Leave to cool.
Prepare the tomatoes
- Cut the medium tomatoes into quarters.
- Spread the medium tomatoes over half of a large baking tray and sprinkle with the sugar and some salt and pepper. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar and some oil over the top. Place in the oven.
- After about 20 minutes remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 200 oC.
- Cut the yellow tomatoes in half. On the empty side of the tray, spread the yellow tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle over some olive oil. Return to the oven and roast for 12 minutes. Remove the tomatoes and allow to cool down.
Assemble the salad
- Cut the green tomato into thin wedges.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Mix together the couscous and giant couscous in a medium bowl. Add the herbs, garlic cooked tomatoes and all their juices, the green tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. Very gently mix everything together using your hands. Adjust the seasonings if necessary.