- metric measuring spoons & cups
- chopping boards & non-slip mats
- 1 medium knife
- medium saucepan
- baking dish (24 x 30 cm)
- waxed paper
- small saucepan
- serving bowls
- 5 short cinnamon sticks (each about 5 cm long)
- 10 whole cloves
- Shaved rind of 1 lemon, plus 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 stems fresh curry leaves (about 25 leaves), or 35 dried leaves
- 400 g basmati rice
- 60 g unsalted butter
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
|What to do
- Set out your ingredients and preheat the oven to 200oC.
- Rinse the rice and soak in water for 15 minutes. Drain well using the sieve.
- Put the cinnamon sticks, cloves, lemon rind, curry leaves, 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in the medium saucepan. Cover with 2¾ cups/680 ml water and place over high heat with the lid on. As soon as the water boils remove the pan from the heat.
- Spread the rice out in the baking dish, cover with the boiled water and aromatics and stir well. Lay a piece of waxed paper over the surface of the water and cover the dish with foil. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes, then remove and leave to sit, covered, for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, melt the butter in the small saucepan. Once it’s melted and very hot, carefully add the lemon juice and swirl together to mix. Pour this over the hot rice and fluff up the rice with a fork.
- Transfer to serving bowls and serve at once.