Serves: 4 at home or 24 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: onion, garlic, green chillies, red chillies, tomatoes, coriander, thyme
At school, one class cooks this recipe for the next class to share and enjoy because the chicken takes 1 hour to cook. This chicken is delicious served with Mexican Green Sauce.
|What to do
- Set out your ingredients.
Prepare the vegetables and chicken
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Wearing plastic gloves, deseed and finely chop the chillies.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Roughly chop the coriander and parsley leaves.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Cook the vegetables and chicken
- Heat the olive oil in the saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5–6 minutes, or until softened.
- Add both the chillies, the oregano and all the spices except the paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes to release the flavours.
- Add the chicken and paprika, turn to coat in the flavours, and cook for a few minutes on each side.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, salt and thyme.
- Rinse the beans and add them to the saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with lid cook and for up to 1 hour.
- Stir through the coriander and parsley and taste for seasoning before serving with Mexican Green Sauce.