Serves: 6 or 30 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: garden herbs
- metric measuring scales, cups & spoons
- medium saucepan
- chopping board & non-slip mat
- cook’s knife
- small bowl
- wooden spoon
- 20 × 30 cm baking tin
- baking tray
- tongs serving
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup instant polenta
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan
- 20 g butter
- 1 small handful of mixed herbs (e.g. rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley), finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- Tomato sauce, to serve
|What to do
· Set out your ingredients & equipment.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Pour the stock and milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Prepare all of the ingredients based on the instructions in the ingredients list.
- Gradually add the polenta to the boiling stock, whisking continuously for 2–3 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and stir through the parmesan, butter, mixed herbs, salt and pepper.
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spoon and press the polenta into a lightly greased tin and refrigerate until set (20 minutes).
- Remove the set polenta from the tin and slice it into 30 or more thick chips.
- Pour a little olive oil onto the plate.
- Roll the polenta chips lightly in the olive oil and place them on a greased baking tray.
- Bake the polenta chips for 20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Remove onto the serving platter using tongs and serve with the Tomato sauce.