Season: All year
Type: Big dishes
Serves: 6 at home or 30 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: pumpkin, carrot, onion, coriander, parsley
Recipe source: Adapted from the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation
- metric measuring spoons & cups
- chopping boards & non-slip mats
- 1 medium knife, 1 large knife
- large heavy-based pan
- serving bowls
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 500 g pumpkin
- 250 ml tomato passata
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 400 g chickpeas, cooked or tinned (or 250 g soaked overnight and cooked)
- 10 dried apricots
- 8 soft, pitted dates
- 2 tbsp honey
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- small handful flat-leaf parsley
- small handful coriander
|What to do
- Set out your ingredients.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions. Peel and chop the carrots into 1.5 cm cubes. Cut the pumpkin into 1.5 cm cubes.
- Dice the dried apricots and cut the dates into quarters.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the carrot, pumpkin, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Pour in the passata and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook gently for 20 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, apricots, dates and honey.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then simmer for another 5 – 10 minutes, making sure you do not overcook the pumpkin.
- Chop the herbs and sprinkle over the tagine to serve.