Serves: 4 at home or 24 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: peas, lettuce, leeks, spring onions
Recipe source: Majura Kitchen Garden
- metric measuring spoons and cups
- chopping boards & non-slip mats
- 1 medium knife
- bread knife
- heavy-based saucepan
- large non-stick frying pan
- egg flip
- bowls – 1 medium, 1 large
- baking tray
- 40 g butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 spring onions
- 2 leeks
- 500 g peas
- 500 g lettuce leaves
- 750 ml chicken or vegetable stock or water
- 10 mint leaves
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
For the croutons
- sourdough bread
What to do
- Set out your ingredients.
Prepare the vegetables
- Separate the lettuce leaves from the stalks. Discard the stalks and wash the leaves well. Roll the leaves up and shred.
- Cut the roots of the leeks. Finely slice the white part of the leeks and discard the green parts. Wash the white part to remove any dirt then dry in the salad spinner.
- Cut the roots of the spring onions. Finely slice the white part of the spring onions and discard the green parts.
Make the croutons
- Butter the bread on both sides. Place a non-stick frying pan over medium to high heat and fry the bread slices until golden on the underside (about 3 minutes). Flip the bread with an egg flip and cook the other side.
- Transfer the fried bread to the chopping board and using the serrated knife, cut the fried bread into 1 cm cubes. Place on a baking tray and keep warm in an oven preheated to 120oC until ready to serve.
Cook the soup
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over moderate heat. Add the leek and spring onions and cook until the leek softens (about 5 minutes).
- Add the shredded lettuce leaves to the leeks and cook until the lettuce wilts.
- Add the peas and stock (or water) and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in the blender then return the soup to the saucepan to reheat. Check for seasoning and serve with croutons.