|Season: Summer, Autumn
Serves: 4 at home or 24 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: tomatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, parsley, coriander
Recipe source: Adapted from Neil Perry’s The Food I Love
|What to do
- Set out your equipment and ingredients.
Make the paste
- Peel and chop the garlic.
- Chop the onion and parsley.
- Put all the ingredients for the paste in the mini-food processor and purée. Set aside.
Prepare the vegetables
- Cut the tomatoes in half and squeeze the tomatoes over a bowl to remove the seeds.
- Put the tomatoes in the food processor and purée.
- Trim the top and bottom off each celery stalk and finely chop.
- Peel and finely chop the carrot.
Cook the soup
- Heat the olive oil in the large saucepan on medium and add the celery, carrot and paste and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning the spices.
- Add the tomato purée, vinegar, salt, pepper and 500 ml water.
- Simmer slowly for 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Return to the food processor and purée until thick and smooth.
Serve the soup
- Check for seasoning and divide among the serving bowls.