Serves: 6 at home or 30 tastes in the classroom
Fresh from the garden: tomatoes, basil, onions, garlic
- chopping board & non-slip mat
- cook’s knife
- metric measuring scales, jug and spoons
- very large saucepan or stockpot
- stick blender wooden
- small bowl
- large ladle
- bowls for serving
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 kg very ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 L chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
What to do
- Prepare all of the ingredients based on the instructions in the ingredients list.
- Heat oil in large stockpot, add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is transparent.
- Add tomatoes and sugar and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and blend.
- Heat to simmering point and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix rice flour to a smooth cream with a little of the soup in the small bowl.
- Add to the soup and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Stir the basil leaves through.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls to serve.
- Serve warm with Indian Flatbread.