Fresh from the garden: eggs, beetroot
- metric measuring spoons and cups
- muffin tin liners
- muffin tins
- bowls – 1 small, 1 medium, 1 large
- large teaspoon
- wire rack
- 2 beetroot (about 500g)
- 400 g self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 120 g butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 200g dark chocolate chips
What to do
- Set out your equipment and ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC.
- Insert the paper muffin tin liners into the muffins tins.
- Peel the beetroot.
- Grate the beetroot.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into the large bowl then set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in the medium bowl. Add the sugar and oil and whisk to combine, then add the melted butter. Add the grated beetroot using a spatula.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients, then, using the spatula, fold together being careful not to over-mix – muffin mix should look lumpy. Finally fold in the chocolate pieces.
- Spoon the mixture into the holes of the muffin tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the muffins and well risen and feel springy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto the wire rack.